Categories: World

Malaysia decides not to send pilgrims to Saudi Arabia amid COVID-19 pandemic

Malaysia, an important Islamic country, announced that it would not send Pilgrims to Saudi Arabia for the Hajj. 60% of the population of Malaysia is Muslim. More than 30000 Malaysians go to Saudi Arabia to offer Hajj every year. The total population of Malaysia is approximately 12500000. Indonesia, the most populated Islamic country, also announced last week that it would not send pilgrims to Saudi Arabia for the Hajj.

The Indonesian government announced on June 2 that more than 225000 pilgrims from Indonesia would not be able to perform Hajj this year due to the coronavirus threats. After one week, the Malaysian government has now announced that it was suspending the Hajj plans for this year. Zulkifli Mohamad Al-Bakri, the minister of religious affairs of Malaysia, confirmed that no Malaysian would go to Saudi Arabia for the Hajj.

According to AFP, an international news agency, Al-Bakri said that the Hajj plan had been suspended by the Malaysian government due to the coronavirus threats. According to him, more than 31000 pilgrims will not be able to perform Hajj this year. He confirmed that the made the decision to save their citizens from the coronavirus threats.

Al-Bakri said that they would prefer these pilgrims next year to perform Hajj. The Malaysian government suspended the Hajj plan as a preventive measure to stop the spread of the coronavirus. After Indonesia and Malaysia, other Muslim countries are expected to make a similar decision related to the Hajj this year. More than 2 million pilgrims travel to Saudi Arabia to perform Hajj from all across the world.

The Hajj has huge importance in the life of every Muslim. It is the obligation of every Muslim to perform the Hajj at least once in his life. However, it is the religious obligation of Muslims who can financially and physically afford to travel to Saudi Arabia. The Saudi Arabian government also announced last week that they could limit the Hajj this year.

Jackson Sorbo

Managing editor of the Chicago Morning Star

Recent Posts

Johnson Rome trip draws scrutiny amid CTA crime

Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson’s trip to Rome to visit the Pope is drawing renewed attention to ongoing public safety concerns…

20 hours ago

Brewers eye NL Central lead against Cubs

The Milwaukee Brewers will have an opportunity to climb into first place in the National League Central when they continue…

2 days ago

CPS enrollment falls as CTU membership grows

Chicago Public Schools has lost nearly one-fifth of its student population over the past decade, even as the Chicago Teachers…

2 days ago

Indian student killed in crash near Chicago

An Indian student was killed, and several others were injured, following a late-night two-vehicle crash near Chicago, according to Indiana…

3 days ago

Trump says China to order 200 Boeing jets

Boeing could secure its largest Chinese aircraft deal in years after U.S. President Donald Trump announced that China plans to…

5 days ago

Chicago Fire move Crew match to SeatGeek Stadium

Chicago Fire FC announced Thursday that its Nov. 7 home match against the Columbus Crew will be relocated from Soldier…

5 days ago

This website uses cookies.