Categories: USA

Microsoft Bars China-Based Engineers from U.S. Military Aid

Microsoft Ends China-Based Engineering Support for U.S. Military Projects

Microsoft has announced that engineers based in China will no longer provide technical support for U.S. military systems. The decision, revealed on July 18, follows growing concern over foreign involvement in sensitive defense infrastructure and a formal review ordered by Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth.

The policy shift comes after a ProPublica investigation exposed that Chinese engineers were assisting with U.S. military cloud systems. These teams operated under the supervision of U.S.-cleared subcontractors known as “digital escorts,” who, although vetted for security, often lacked the necessary cybersecurity expertise to assess deeper technical risks.

The report raised alarms among lawmakers and defense officials, prompting calls for immediate corrective action. Microsoft, one of the largest government cloud contractors, acknowledged that it had disclosed these practices during the contract authorization process. However, in response to the backlash, the company swiftly revised its procedures.

“In response to concerns raised earlier this week, we’ve changed how we support U.S. government customers to ensure that no China-based engineering teams are providing technical assistance,” said Microsoft spokesperson Frank Shaw on X, formerly Twitter.

Earlier that day, Senator Tom Cotton, Chair of the Senate Intelligence Committee and a member of the Armed Services Committee, sent a letter to Secretary Hegseth demanding clarification regarding contractor staffing. He questioned the training and security protocols surrounding digital escorts and warned of the national security implications of foreign involvement.

“The U.S. government recognizes that China’s cyber capabilities pose one of the most aggressive and dangerous threats to the United States,” Cotton wrote, citing past cyber intrusions into critical infrastructure. “The U.S. military must guard against all potential threats within its supply chain, including those from subcontractors.”

Defense Secretary Hegseth promptly responded, initiating a two-week investigation into all Department of Defense cloud contracts to determine whether other vendors have used China-based personnel.

“I’m announcing that China will no longer have any involvement whatsoever in our cloud services, effective immediately,” Hegseth declared in an online video. “We will continue to monitor and counter all threats to our military infrastructure and online networks.”

The Pentagon has invested billions of dollars in cloud computing as part of its digital modernization efforts. These programs, however, have drawn increased scrutiny after repeated high-profile hacks—some attributed to state-sponsored entities from China and Russia—targeted both public and private sector systems, including Microsoft’s infrastructure.

While Microsoft maintains it followed established disclosure procedures, the use of overseas engineers has reignited concerns over the security of critical military technology.

The Defense Department review will examine whether tighter controls are needed and whether similar practices have occurred with other technology providers.

Adyson Sipes

Staff writer for the Chicago Morning Star

Recent Posts

Brewers eye NL Central lead against Cubs

The Milwaukee Brewers will have an opportunity to climb into first place in the National League Central when they continue…

22 hours ago

CPS enrollment falls as CTU membership grows

Chicago Public Schools has lost nearly one-fifth of its student population over the past decade, even as the Chicago Teachers…

22 hours ago

Indian student killed in crash near Chicago

An Indian student was killed, and several others were injured, following a late-night two-vehicle crash near Chicago, according to Indiana…

2 days ago

Trump says China to order 200 Boeing jets

Boeing could secure its largest Chinese aircraft deal in years after U.S. President Donald Trump announced that China plans to…

4 days ago

Chicago Fire move Crew match to SeatGeek Stadium

Chicago Fire FC announced Thursday that its Nov. 7 home match against the Columbus Crew will be relocated from Soldier…

4 days ago

FIFA unveils World Cup final halftime show

The 2026 FIFA World Cup final will introduce a major entertainment addition inspired by the NFL, with FIFA confirming plans…

5 days ago

This website uses cookies.