Categories: USA

North Korea: US should act wisely

The relationship between North Korea and United States doesn’t seem to normalize as North Korea has accused U.S. officials of maintaining hostility against Pyongyang despite a “special” relationship between leader Kim Jong Un and President Donald Trump. North Korea has also urged Washington to act “wisely” through the end of the year.

Foreign Ministry adviser Kim Kye Gwan issued the statement which was a clear indication of the end-of-year deadline set by North Korean superior to the Trump administration to offer mutually acceptable terms for a deal to salvage their diplomacy. Kim Kye Gwan referred the country’s full name in the statement.

The statement reads “Contrary to the political judgment and intention of President Trump, Washington political circles and DPRK policy makers of the U.S. administration are hostile to the DPRK for no reason, preoccupied with the Cold War mentality and ideological prejudice.” The statement also says that North Korea wants to see how the US will act.

The collapse of a February summit between Kim Jong Un and Trump faltered the nuclear negotiations between North Korea and United States. U.S had rejected North Korea’s terms for sanctions relief in exchange for a piecemeal deal toward partially surrendering its nuclear capabilities.

After the failed negotiations, North Korea tested a series of short-range missile tests. Kim Jong Un said that he would “wait with patience until the end of the year for the United States to come up with a courageous decision.” Working-level discussion resumed in Sweden earlier this month between the two countries but the meeting broke down.

North Korea cited the talks as ‘sickening’ and accusing the Americans of having an “old stance and attitude.” North Korea threatened to resume nuclear and long-range missile tests it suspended last year but pursued diplomacy with the United States. Kim Jong Un said that the international sanctions had pained and infuriated his people but vowed to overcome those sanctions.

Shawn Genzone

Senior writer at the Chicago Morning Star

Recent Posts

Johnson Rome trip draws scrutiny amid CTA crime

Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson’s trip to Rome to visit the Pope is drawing renewed attention to ongoing public safety concerns…

20 hours ago

Brewers eye NL Central lead against Cubs

The Milwaukee Brewers will have an opportunity to climb into first place in the National League Central when they continue…

2 days ago

CPS enrollment falls as CTU membership grows

Chicago Public Schools has lost nearly one-fifth of its student population over the past decade, even as the Chicago Teachers…

2 days ago

Indian student killed in crash near Chicago

An Indian student was killed, and several others were injured, following a late-night two-vehicle crash near Chicago, according to Indiana…

3 days ago

Trump says China to order 200 Boeing jets

Boeing could secure its largest Chinese aircraft deal in years after U.S. President Donald Trump announced that China plans to…

5 days ago

Chicago Fire move Crew match to SeatGeek Stadium

Chicago Fire FC announced Thursday that its Nov. 7 home match against the Columbus Crew will be relocated from Soldier…

5 days ago

This website uses cookies.