Chicago Joins ‘Rockin’ Eve’ With First Central Countdown

For the first time, Chicago will serve as a live broadcast location for “Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve”, producers announced Thursday alongside ABC7, Dick Clark Productions, Mayor Brandon Johnson, and Choose Chicago. The celebration will feature the show’s inaugural Central Time Zone midnight countdown.

“We are proud to announce that Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve is coming to the greatest city in the world,” said Mayor Brandon Johnson. “This is a fantastic opportunity to showcase the beauty and dynamism of our city and its people for the world to see. We could not be more excited to welcome in the new year with fireworks, music, and Chicago pride.”

The broadcast will include a new host, live performances, and updates from across the city throughout the night.

Kristen Reynolds, president and CEO of Choose Chicago, highlighted the city’s growing global visibility. “This is an incredible opportunity to showcase Chicago on one of the biggest nights of the year,” she said. Partnering with Dick Clark Productions brings national attention to our city and positions Chicago among the world’s top New Year’s Eve celebrations—marking yet another first-time milestone for our destination. Choose Chicago is proud to help make this happen, and we thank Mayor Brandon Johnson, DCASE, ABC7, and Dick Clark Productions for helping share Chicago’s unmatched energy, pride, and spirit with the world.”

The announcement follows WalletHub’s recent recognition of Chicago as a leading winter travel destination and comes after a record-breaking summer tourism season with more than 3.5 million hotel bookings.

Alongside broadcasts from Times Square in New York City and Puerto Rico, Chicago will join as a new broadcast hub, bringing its own celebration to national audiences.

John Idler, president and general manager of ABC7 Chicago, added: “WLS-TV is ‘Chicago Proud’ to have the opportunity to showcase the amazing city of Chicago on Dick Clark’s Rockin’ New Year’s Eve. We look forward to bringing viewers a spectacular fireworks display centered around the iconic bridges that cross the Chicago River and cascade over the city’s world-class architecture.”

“Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve with Ryan Seacrest 2026” will air live on ABC beginning at 8 p.m. EST on December 31. Last year’s show drew more than 33 million viewers.

Mayor Johnson appeared on ABC7 earlier in the day to discuss the plans, with more details about Chicago’s participation expected soon.

Deborah Pevy

Guest Writer

Recent Posts

Brewers eye NL Central lead against Cubs

The Milwaukee Brewers will have an opportunity to climb into first place in the National League Central when they continue…

22 hours ago

CPS enrollment falls as CTU membership grows

Chicago Public Schools has lost nearly one-fifth of its student population over the past decade, even as the Chicago Teachers…

22 hours ago

Indian student killed in crash near Chicago

An Indian student was killed, and several others were injured, following a late-night two-vehicle crash near Chicago, according to Indiana…

2 days ago

Trump says China to order 200 Boeing jets

Boeing could secure its largest Chinese aircraft deal in years after U.S. President Donald Trump announced that China plans to…

4 days ago

Chicago Fire move Crew match to SeatGeek Stadium

Chicago Fire FC announced Thursday that its Nov. 7 home match against the Columbus Crew will be relocated from Soldier…

4 days ago

FIFA unveils World Cup final halftime show

The 2026 FIFA World Cup final will introduce a major entertainment addition inspired by the NFL, with FIFA confirming plans…

5 days ago

This website uses cookies.