Categories: USA

Two officers involved in George Floyd killing previously reviewed for use of force

According to a database that documents instances of police brutality, two Minneapolis police officers captured in video footage restraining George Floyd were previously involved in other violent incidents while on duty. The video footage showed that 19-year veteran of the Minneapolis police department, Derek Chauvin kneeled on 46-year-old Floyd’s neck for nine minutes as he pleaded for his life.

George Floyd had lost his life following the encounter. The officers had responded to a call from a grocery store that claimed Floyd used a forged check. The Minneapolis police department said Floyd “died a short time” after a “medical incident”. State agencies in Minneapolis and the FBI have launched separate investigations. Four officers, including Chauvin, have been fired.

Minneapolis’ mayor, Jacob Frey asked, “Why is the man who killed George Floyd not in jail?” as he called for charges on Wednesday. We cannot turn a blind eye, it is on us as leaders to see this for what it is and call it what it is.” Chauvin joined the force in 2001. According to a database by Minneapolis’ Communities United Against Police Brutality, he had already been involved in several incidents.

The Daily Beast reported that Chauvin along with four other officers were placed on leave after they shot and wounded an indigenous man in 2011. Later that year, officers had been responding to a domestic violence call. Chauvin claimed that the man reached for his gun. The man was shot by a different officer. He was wounded in the encounter. Authorities later determined that the officers had acted “appropriately”.

The second officer, Tou Thao, is a 10-year veteran of the force. He was sued by a man for allegedly using excessive force during a 2014 arrest. He was stopped by Thao and another officer as he walking along with his pregnant girlfriend. The lawsuit alleged they “punch[ed], kick[ed] and kn[eed]” the man’s “face and body” causing “broken teeth as well as other bruising and trauma”. The lawsuit was settled out of court.

Recent Posts

Johnson Rome trip draws scrutiny amid CTA crime

Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson’s trip to Rome to visit the Pope is drawing renewed attention to ongoing public safety concerns…

20 hours ago

Brewers eye NL Central lead against Cubs

The Milwaukee Brewers will have an opportunity to climb into first place in the National League Central when they continue…

2 days ago

CPS enrollment falls as CTU membership grows

Chicago Public Schools has lost nearly one-fifth of its student population over the past decade, even as the Chicago Teachers…

2 days ago

Indian student killed in crash near Chicago

An Indian student was killed, and several others were injured, following a late-night two-vehicle crash near Chicago, according to Indiana…

3 days ago

Trump says China to order 200 Boeing jets

Boeing could secure its largest Chinese aircraft deal in years after U.S. President Donald Trump announced that China plans to…

5 days ago

Chicago Fire move Crew match to SeatGeek Stadium

Chicago Fire FC announced Thursday that its Nov. 7 home match against the Columbus Crew will be relocated from Soldier…

5 days ago

This website uses cookies.