Two officers involved in George Floyd killing previously reviewed for use of force

Two officers involved in George Floyd killing previously reviewed for use of force

Christopher Penler / Shutterstock.com

According to a database that documents instances of police brutality, two Minneapolis police officers captured in video footage restraining George Floyd were previously involved in other violent incidents while on duty. The video footage showed that 19-year veteran of the Minneapolis police department, Derek Chauvin kneeled on 46-year-old Floyd’s neck for nine minutes as he pleaded for his life.

George Floyd had lost his life following the encounter. The officers had responded to a call from a grocery store that claimed Floyd used a forged check. The Minneapolis police department said Floyd “died a short time” after a “medical incident”. State agencies in Minneapolis and the FBI have launched separate investigations. Four officers, including Chauvin, have been fired.

Minneapolis’ mayor, Jacob Frey asked, “Why is the man who killed George Floyd not in jail?” as he called for charges on Wednesday. We cannot turn a blind eye, it is on us as leaders to see this for what it is and call it what it is.” Chauvin joined the force in 2001. According to a database by Minneapolis’ Communities United Against Police Brutality, he had already been involved in several incidents.

The Daily Beast reported that Chauvin along with four other officers were placed on leave after they shot and wounded an indigenous man in 2011. Later that year, officers had been responding to a domestic violence call. Chauvin claimed that the man reached for his gun. The man was shot by a different officer. He was wounded in the encounter. Authorities later determined that the officers had acted “appropriately”.

The second officer, Tou Thao, is a 10-year veteran of the force. He was sued by a man for allegedly using excessive force during a 2014 arrest. He was stopped by Thao and another officer as he walking along with his pregnant girlfriend. The lawsuit alleged they “punch[ed], kick[ed] and kn[eed]” the man’s “face and body” causing “broken teeth as well as other bruising and trauma”. The lawsuit was settled out of court.

Related Posts
Joliet Mayor Bob O’Dekirk release statement related to protests over Floyd’s death
Bob O’Dekirk, the mayor of the City of Joliet, released his statement related to the
Trump derides most US governors as ‘weak’
The demonstrators are recording their protests in dozens of US cities after the brutal killing
Chicago Mayor: ‘FU’ Trump
President Donald Trump got no mercy from Illinois’ leading politicians Friday after he tweeted on
Senior Trump Official: Don’t come to Trump’s rally if you’re high risk for coronavirus
A senior Trump campaign official has warned people at high-risk illness from COVID-19 not to
US: Trade Deal with UK before November “unlikely”
United States' top trade negotiator says that a deal with UK is unlikely before the
US missionary pleads guilty to sex crimes in Kenya
An American Christian missionary has pleaded guilty of sexually abusing young girls at the orphanage
United States amends Huawei ban
The United States Department of Commerce has amended the Huawei ban. They amended the tough
NFL commits to spend $250 million on social justice initiatives
The National Football League (NFL) Announced a commitment on Thursday to spend $250 million on
Trump chooses key slavery date to restart election rallies
United States President Donald Trump will be holding his first re-election campaign rally for several
Sources say U.S.-Canada border closure to be extended beyond June 21
The U.S.-Canada border closure will extend beyond the June 21 date set last month, sources