Categories: USA

Castle Rock restaurant owners file lawsuit against Colorado Governor and health departments

Jesse and April Arellano, the owners of C&C Breakfast & Kitchen located in Castle Rock, Colorado, filed a lawsuit against the Jared Polis, the governor of Colorado, and other state entities. The lawsuit claimed that the governor and other health departments violated the constitutional rights of the restaurant owners.

Randy Corporon, an attorney, filed the lawsuit on behalf of Jesse and April on Friday in Douglas County District Court. According to the lawsuit, the governor’s order of suspending the license of the restaurant indefinitely “is unlawful, highly suspected, and unprecedented.” The restaurant blamed Gov. Polis, the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE), the State of Colorado, the Tri-County Health Department (TCHD), and Jill Ryan, the executive director of the CDPHE, allegedly deprived the owners of their livelihood.

The CDPHE took action against the restaurant by using its authority under the Colorado Food Protection Act. The restaurant allowed some customers to enter its premises to serve food and beverages over Mother’s Day weekend. The restaurant received national attention when a video showed tables filled with customers.

The video was taken by Colorado Community Media. According to the state orders at that time, there was a ban on the gathering of more than 10 people across the state. The state orders also prohibited the restaurant to allow customers to use inside dining. According to the lawsuit, the restaurant owners suffered from huge financial losses since May 11. The Colorado government allowed the businesses to operate inside dining services up to 50% of their maximum capacity on May 27.

The lawsuit further alleged the governor and the health departments of acting with hostility with the owners. The act also allegedly showed the administration’s desire for revenge, according to the lawsuit. Jess had already said that they were consulting with an attorney to take possible legal action against the state and the state officials.

Lucas Durden

Guest Writer

Recent Posts

Johnson Rome trip draws scrutiny amid CTA crime

Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson’s trip to Rome to visit the Pope is drawing renewed attention to ongoing public safety concerns…

2 days ago

Brewers eye NL Central lead against Cubs

The Milwaukee Brewers will have an opportunity to climb into first place in the National League Central when they continue…

3 days ago

CPS enrollment falls as CTU membership grows

Chicago Public Schools has lost nearly one-fifth of its student population over the past decade, even as the Chicago Teachers…

3 days ago

Indian student killed in crash near Chicago

An Indian student was killed, and several others were injured, following a late-night two-vehicle crash near Chicago, according to Indiana…

4 days ago

Trump says China to order 200 Boeing jets

Boeing could secure its largest Chinese aircraft deal in years after U.S. President Donald Trump announced that China plans to…

6 days ago

Chicago Fire move Crew match to SeatGeek Stadium

Chicago Fire FC announced Thursday that its Nov. 7 home match against the Columbus Crew will be relocated from Soldier…

6 days ago

This website uses cookies.