Categories: USA

US officials say 11 troops were injured in last week’s missile attack of Iran

Initially, the US officials said that there were no causalities caused by the Iranian missile attack. They confirmed that 11 US troops were injured in the attack conducted by Iran last week on two airbases in Iraq. The US troops were housed in those two bases that were attacked by Iran on January 8, 2020.

The US launched an attack in which Qassem Soleimani, an Iranian General, was killed. The Iranian missile attack was a response to the death of one of their top military generals. The officials from the US-led military coalition fighting ISIS in Iraq said, “While no US service members were killed in the Jan. 8 Iranian attack on Al-Asad Air Base, several were treated for concussion symptoms from the blast.”

The officials added that the service members were transported from the base to Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany for treatment purposes. The troops will be back in Iraq after the completion of their screening in the medical center. CNN said, “The military defines a casualty as a death or injury involving military personnel.” The statement has contradicted a statement made by the president of the United States of America, Donald J. Trump last week.

Trump said last week, “The American people should be extremely grateful and happy no Americans were harmed in last night’s attack by the Iranian regime.” However, the statement released by the US officials on Thursday confirmed that 11 US troops were injured in the attack. The injured troops were transported to the hospital for follow-on screening.

Trump also said that there were no causalities and all American troops were safe. Trump added, “Only minimal damage was sustained at our military bases.” The US officials told CNN that when the troops would be deemed fit for duty, they would return to Iraq. The US troops are expected to return to their duties after follow-on screening, they confirmed.

Ivan Cease

Senior editor of the Chicago Morning Star

Recent Posts

Johnson Rome trip draws scrutiny amid CTA crime

Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson’s trip to Rome to visit the Pope is drawing renewed attention to ongoing public safety concerns…

20 hours ago

Brewers eye NL Central lead against Cubs

The Milwaukee Brewers will have an opportunity to climb into first place in the National League Central when they continue…

2 days ago

CPS enrollment falls as CTU membership grows

Chicago Public Schools has lost nearly one-fifth of its student population over the past decade, even as the Chicago Teachers…

2 days ago

Indian student killed in crash near Chicago

An Indian student was killed, and several others were injured, following a late-night two-vehicle crash near Chicago, according to Indiana…

3 days ago

Trump says China to order 200 Boeing jets

Boeing could secure its largest Chinese aircraft deal in years after U.S. President Donald Trump announced that China plans to…

5 days ago

Chicago Fire move Crew match to SeatGeek Stadium

Chicago Fire FC announced Thursday that its Nov. 7 home match against the Columbus Crew will be relocated from Soldier…

5 days ago

This website uses cookies.