Leeds Court Residence Fire
On Saturday, July 4, at 10:39 p.m., Naperville’s Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP) received a 911 call from a resident stating there was a fire in the garage of their single-family residence. The PSAP immediately dispatched a general alarm assignment to the location. Within 5 minutes of receiving the call, Company 2 arrived on the scene.
Company 2 reported that there was nothing showing upon initial size-up. A scene size-up was completed by a company officer. He advised an occupant had used a fire extinguisher prior to their arrival, but there was smoke still coming from an interior wall of the garage. Three engine companies, two truck companies, one Squad Company, two ambulances, and two battalion commanders for a total of 24 personnel comprised the general alarm assignment that responded to the scene of the incident.
Within 30 minutes of arrival, companies extinguished fire found behind the garage wall and in void spaces above the garage. Extra time was taken to extinguish smoldering materials during overhaul and remove smoke from the residence. After the main fire area was extinguished, for another 90 minutes, crews continued to perform salvage and overhaul operations.
During the incident, no firefighter sustained any injuries and all the residency occupants remained unharmed as well. Fireworks disposed of in a recycle bin was the cause of the fire. After consulting with an inspector from the Naperville Transportation, Engineering, & Development Department (T.E.D.), the house was deemed habitable for the family.
Naperville Police Department assisted the Naperville Fire Department at the scene. Westmont and Plainfield fire agencies provided fire station coverage during the incident.