Somali militants hit US drone base and Italian convoy

Somali militants hit US drone base and Italian convoy

Two separate attacks were conducted by the militants of Somalia on a US military base and an Italian military convoy. The officials said that Italian military vehicles were exploded in Mogadishu, the capital of Somali while a US facility in Baledogle was targeted by a car bomb and gun attack. The US base is located about 100 kilometers away from Mogadishu on the south side.

The US base is used for the training of Somali commando units. Al-Shabaab militants were behind the attack on the US base. The explosive material was detonated by the militants at the entrance of the base. When the material exploded, the militants attempted to storm the premises. A fight took place outside the camp between the militants and Somali-US forces after the explosion, Abdifitah Haji Abdulle, Lower Shabelle’s deputy governor, said. The causalities have not been reported so far.

Somali National Army Radio reported that the terrorist attack was repelled by the Somali and US forces. The Italian Defense Ministry said that a blast hit two of their light armored vehicles in the capital of Somalia on Monday morning. The vehicles were returning back after conducting the training with the Somali armed forces. Reuters also reported the Italian military vehicles hit in a blast.

Somalia Memo said that Al-Shabaab militants claimed their hand behind the attack on the US military base. The group stated that the base was used against them in the form of drone attacks launched from there. The attack has been investigated by the US Africa Commando. US Africa Commando said, “We are working to confirm details on the incident and we will have more information as soon as we can confirm facts.”

Al-Shabaab is facing a lot of pressure in the region as it has lost key parts in recent times. These attacks are coming due to that pressure on the group. Bariire is a key area that is lost by the group. Kyle Milliken, a US Navy Seal, was killed in Bariire in 2017. The US troops, Somali forces, and African Union have stepped up the operations against the Al-Shabaab militants.

Staff writer for the Chicago Morning Star

Related Posts
CPS enrollment falls as CTU membership grows
Chicago Public Schools has lost nearly one-fifth of its student population over the past decade,
Indian student killed in crash near Chicago
An Indian student was killed, and several others were injured, following a late-night two-vehicle crash
Trump says China to order 200 Boeing jets
Boeing could secure its largest Chinese aircraft deal in years after U.S. President Donald Trump
FIFA unveils World Cup final halftime show
The 2026 FIFA World Cup final will introduce a major entertainment addition inspired by the
Chicago Fire stadium to be named McDonald’s Park
The Chicago Fire have secured a major naming rights agreement with McDonald’s for the club’s
Eovaldi seeks another strong outing vs D-backs
Nathan Eovaldi will try to continue his recent turnaround Monday night when the Texas Rangers
Tesla recalls Cybertrucks over wheel defect
Tesla has announced two separate recalls, including a limited number of Cybertrucks affected by a
Onco advances cancer therapy development phase
Onco-Innovations Limited announced a new milestone in the development of its cancer treatment platform, confirming
Trout homer lifts Angels past White Sox
Mike Trout continued to climb the all-time home run list, powering the Los Angeles Angels
Stocks hit record highs as oil markets swing
U.S. stock markets climbed to new record highs this week, even as global oil markets