US Department of State’s Reward offers $5 million for information related to October 4, 2017 attack

US Department of State’s Reward offers  million for information related to October 4, 2017 attack

Four US soldiers died in an attack on the joint US-Nigerien military patrol on Oct. 4, 2017. The US offers a reward of $5 million for information that leads to the arrest or conviction of the militants who were involved in the attack. The US Department of State’s Reward for Justice Program has also offered $5 million for information on Adnan Abu Walid al-Sahrawi, the leader of the Islamic State in the Greater Sahara.

The Islamic State in the Greater Sahara is an offshoot of the ISIS. This organization claimed the attack on the joint US-Nigerien military patrol in which a US team for special operations and Nigerian troops were targeted. The attack was carried out near the village of Tongo Tongo, Niger.

The US and Nigerien soldiers were on a patrol for pursing an ISIS commander, Doundoun Cheffou. Four US soldiers named Sgt. First Class Jeremiah Johnson, Staff Sgt. Bryan Black, Staff Sgt. Dustin Wright and Sgt. La David Johnson lost their lives when the military was attacked. The soldiers were on the assignment of Army Special Forces Operational Detachment Alpha 3212. The investigation found that the patrol was planned badly as there were flaws in the planning prior to the patrol.

The paperwork of the concept of operation was not clear to the team. The team was also not authorized for carrying out the missions of capturing and killing. The investigation found that the officers who filed the paperwork were not being deceptive. Maj. Gen. Roger Cloutier, the former chief of staff of AFRICOM, said, “Our forces were outnumbered approximately three to one.” The enemy achieved a tactic surprise in that attack and outnumbered the US and Nigerien soldiers, he added.

Maj. Gen. Marcus Hicks, the commanding officer of Special Operations forces in Africa, and many other officers were reprimanded after the attack. The soldiers who lost their lives received the award of valor. The US authorities are still looking for information related to the people behind that ambush and they offered a huge reward for information.

Senior editor of the Chicago Morning Star

Related Posts
Activists are offering $23,500 to find the shooter after baby boy is shot
On Thursday evening, a one-year-old baby is shot in a car. He is struggling for
NWS records historically highest temperature in Los Angeles County
The National Weather Service (NWS) reported on Sunday that they recorded the highest temperature of
Thousands gather at historic Washington civil rights march
The 1963 civil rights March on Washington is commemorated as thousands gather in Washington DC.
Highway construction boosted amid COVID-19 pandemic
CalTrans, the department of transportation of California, was supposed to initiate the construction work of
Outdoor learning is a solution to reopen schools during COVID-19 pandemic
Virtual learning is not adequate for many working families and students due to the lack
COVID-19 Takes a Toll on US Economy
The COVID-19 Pandemic has shaken the US economy. Between April and June, the US economy
US says it will withdraw 12,000 troops from Germany
United States is moving to withdraw 12,000 troops from Germany. The move complies with President
POTUS promotes hydroxychloroquine as coronavirus treatment once again
The efficacy of the hydroxychloroquine has been disputed by several trials so far. However, President
National Football League officially cancels preseason schedule on Monday
The National Football League (NFL) announced on Monday evening that it had officially canceled the
National poker player Susie Zhao found dead in Detroit suburb
Susie Zhao, a 33-year-old Michigan lady, was found dead in a Detroit suburb on July