Major pushback for new US campus sex assault plan

Major pushback for new US campus sex assault plan

According to federal guidelines, hearings on campus must be held by US universities where sexual assault claims are made. Both the alleged victims and attackers can be cross-examined. The new set of US Department of Education rules enforces this change. The agency said the rules will ensure fairness to accusers and accused.

However, critics are saying that the alleged victims will be discouraged from reporting the attacks. The new policy is issued on Wednesday after an 18-month, limits what complaints private and public universities are obliged to investigate and raises the burden for holding a school liable for sexual assault. The universities have until August to comply with the rules.

The new rules are marked a shift for addressing how universities enforce Title IX, the federal law barring discrimination in education based on gender. The previous administration had sought to expand university responsibility for sexual misconduct on campuses under Title IX. Under this administration, the educational institutes are required to provide a live hearing and allow advisers to cross-question parties and witnesses involved – a practice discouraged by the previous administration.

In announcing the policy, Betsey DeVos, the education secretary, said: “Too many students have lost access to their education because their school inadequately responded when a student filed a complaint of sexual harassment or sexual assault.” She added, “This new regulation requires schools to act in meaningful ways to support survivors of sexual misconduct, without sacrificing important safeguards to ensure a fair and transparent process.”

Ms DeVos proposed some initial rules that limit schools’ liabilities and apply the requirement for hearings to secondary school pupils. However, after dissent from victims’ groups, those rules were scrapped. However, advocacy groups said the final policy cut back on victims’ rights. Fatima Graves of the National Women’s Law Center told the New York Times that “if this rule goes into effect, survivors will be denied their civil rights and will get the message loud and clear that there is no point in reporting assault.”

Staff writer for the Chicago Morning Star

Related Posts
Retired Chicago priest accused of child sex assault in 1974
George Clements, Retired Chicago priest father, faces the charges of sexually assaulting a child in
R. Kelly’s lawyers file a motion to dismiss the sex assault lawsuit
R & B star R. Kelly lawyers have asked a Cook County judge to throw
Brother and Sister stabbed in a home invasion and sex assault
It is reported that brother and sister who were in their teens were stabbed. The
POTUS promotes hydroxychloroquine as coronavirus treatment once again
The efficacy of the hydroxychloroquine has been disputed by several trials so far. However, President
National Football League officially cancels preseason schedule on Monday
The National Football League (NFL) announced on Monday evening that it had officially canceled the
National poker player Susie Zhao found dead in Detroit suburb
Susie Zhao, a 33-year-old Michigan lady, was found dead in a Detroit suburb on July
CDC put emphasis on reopening schools this fall
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) emphasized reopening schools this fall. In the
Biden says Trump is first racist president of America
Joe Biden, the former vice-president of the US, said on Wednesday, “Trump is the country’s
Ohio nurse sacrificed his life during taking care of COVID-19 patients
Matt Moeddel, a 43-year-old Ohio nurse, lost his life after being infected by the deadly
Community State Bank offers bonus for coins
The Community State Bank located in Wisconsin is offering a bonus for turning over change.