TikTok denies allegations of working under Chinese government

TikTok denies allegations of working under Chinese government

XanderSt / Shutterstock.com

TikTok, a video-sharing application, has denied the allegations of working under the Chinese government. Theo Bertram, the Public Policy Director of TikTok for Europe, Middle East, and Africa, said, “I will not permit the Chinese government to get access to user data of TikTok.” According to the report of BBC, a British news agency, Bertram said, “Many people think that we work under the Chinese government. It is wrong thinking.”

TikTok is facing a huge pressure from Washington related to its future in America. TikTok is launched by an application development company, ByteDance. The owner of ByteDance belongs to Cayman Island but lives in Beijing at the moment. The owner of TikTok talked to the British government related to opening its headquarter in London.

The US government is looking to apply a ban on TikTok. The US officials decided that they would allow TikTok to operate in the US if it would break its relationship with China. According to US officials, TikTok can only operate in the US if it will become an American company. Mike Pompeo, the foreign minister of the US, alleged TikTok in his statement. He said that the US TikTok users were facing a threat of losing their confidential data.

Pompeo will visit the United Kingdom this week. He alleged the Chinese Communist Party could acquire the confidential information of US citizens through TikTok. However, Bertram said in a BBC program that they were hopeful for getting more success in the UK. He added that they had not made any decision related to TikTok’s headquarter.

He said that if the Chinese government would ask them to provide data, they would deny any such request. TikTok is also facing an allegation that it was not strictly against child pornography. However, Bertram denied this allegation during the BBC program. The relationship between China and the United Kingdom are not good at the moment. Both countries are facing a threat of an economic war. The UK government decided to remove the 5G equipment of Huawei from its mobile networks by 2027.

Senior writer at the Chicago Morning Star

Related Posts
Amazon backtracks on TikTok – Deleting Mail
Amazon has said email sent to staff asking to remove TikTok was “sent in error.”
Japan, Indonesia to boost naval security ties as China rises
The leaders of Japan and Indonesia agreed Wednesday to bolster their ties in maritime security
What are the plans of China over Russia?
China’s decision to abstain on Friday night at the end of the UN security council
Nicaragua cuts ties with Taiwan
Just as Taiwan stepped up on the world stage by joining the Summit for Democracy
Trump continues final crackdowns on Chinese firms
President Donald Trump has placed more bans and investment sanctions on the biggest Chinese companies
Intense flood situation in China, 33 rivers are on their highest level
China is facing the worst flooding in the last 30 years. 33 rivers in China
Joe Biden Vows to Reverse President’s WHO Decision
US Democratic challenger Joe Biden has said if he wins November’s election, he will reverse
Trump pulling US out of World Health Organization
President Donald Trump had previously announced that US will be withdrawing from the World Health
Pursuing a trade deal; Trump held off Chinese sanctions
United States President Donald Trump says he didn’t impose sanctions on Chinese officials further over
USA: Chinese carriers banned from mid-June
The US Department of Transportation has put a ban on Chinese airlines from flying to