Two new buildings have been added to the local historic landmarks by the City of Joliet. The buildings have got the historic designation. The first building is an Italianate style house located at 600 North Broadway Street. The house was built approximately in 1872. Simon Hausser, a stonemason, built the house for his family. He was the operator of a quarry that was located just south of his house.
The house has a cross-gable roofline with arch-topped windows. A single light transom reflects the Italianate style of the house. The entry door of the house is narrow, paneled, and tall. Hausser was the leading German citizen of the city at that time. Hausser is also known as one of the first building contractors of the City of Joliet. He supervised the construction of several stone buildings in the City. He served as the supervisor of the construction of the county jail.
Hausser was an expert in the construction of stone buildings. He also supervised the construction of St. John’s Church and Old St. Joseph’s Hospital. The Old St. Joseph’s Hospital has been demolished. He played a great role in the establishment of St. John’s Catholic Church. He served as the alderman of Third Ward. He was the part of the several commissions of the City of Joliet.
The second building is a Queen Anne style house that was built approximately in 1889 at 512 McDonough Street. It is a clapboard-sided, gable front-and-wing house. The available maps and the city directories suggest that it was the first house that was built in this block. Charles L. Young is the first resident of the house, according to the documentation. Young was a worker of the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad. The house is located at the earliest settlement area of the St. Pat’s Neighborhood.
You are advised to visit https://www.joliet.gov/government/boards-commissions/joliet-historic-preservation-commission for getting more information about the historic landmarks of the City of Joliet.