Los Angeles County officials said on Tuesday that they would lift the restrictions slowly. The stay-at-home orders are expected to continue through July. According to Los Angeles County health officials, it will extend orders past May 15. The officials will surely provide some ease to the residents, but the stay-at-home orders will be extended.
Barbara Ferrer, the director of health of Los Angeles County, told the Los Angeles Times on Tuesday, “Our hope is that by using the data, we’d be able to lift restrictions over the next three months slowly.” Ferrer clarified that the stay-at-home orders would continue through the next two to three months. According to the recent stats, 1570 coronavirus patients have lost their lives so far in Los Angeles County.
The death count in Los Angeles remained low as compared to other major metropolitan areas. For example, Cook County, Illinois, had 2361 coronavirus-related deaths, however, its population is half of the Los Angeles’ population. Moreover, the population of New York is almost 90% of the L.A population. The total number of deaths related to the coronavirus in New York has exceeded 15000. According to New York health officials, there are still 5000 more deaths expected in New York.
It is a good sign for Los Angeles that it has fewer deaths as compared to other such metropolitan areas. The administration is encouraging the residents to stay-at-home. Los Angeles officials said that they were planning to reopen the beaches.
Los Angeles officials said that retailers would be allowed to open their shops this week with curbside services. The restriction will continue on the opening of restaurants, libraries, indoor malls, indoor recreation centers, and shopping malls. The health officials recommended the residents to stay at home and practice social distancing. The administration said that it would lift the restrictions slowly in the county.