Nigeria: Boko Haram claims kidnapping of hundreds of students

Nigeria: Boko Haram claims kidnapping of hundreds of students

Boko Haram, the terrorist organization of Nigeria, claimed that it kidnapped hundreds of students from a northwestern area of the country. It is the first attack of Boko Haram in this part of Nigeria. The terrorist organization was formed more than a decade ago. According to the report of AFP, an international news agency, Boko Haram and its rival group, the Islamic State in West Africa Province (ISWAP), have committed various terrorist attacks in the northwestern areas of Nigeria and neighboring countries including Cameroon, Chad, and Niger.

Aminu Bello Masari, the governor of Katsina state of Nigeria, said that the kidnappers contacted the government of Nigeria. He said about the abducted students in a tweet, “Talks are ongoing to ensure their safety and return to their respective families.” The exact number of abducted children has not been clarified yet.

General John Enenche, the spokesperson of the military of Nigeria, told a news channel that some armed men attacked a secondary school with heavy guns in the town of Kankara. At least 333 students were missing since the attack, according to General Enenche. In the beginning, a so-called bandits group was blamed to be behind the kidnapping. The group was actively involved in carrying out kidnappings for money in the unstable region.

The army said that they had tracked down the locations of the bandits and a military operation was ongoing against them. The government has not yet responded to the claim of Boko Haram. However, if the claim of Boko Haram proves right then the government will entirely change its statement about the kidnapping of hundreds of students.

AFP received a four-minute recording from a Boko Haram channel. The recording said, “I am Abubakar Shekau and our brothers are behind the kidnapping in Katsina.” The voice in the recording resembles the voice of Abubakar Shekau who was involved in the kidnapping of 276 schoolgirls in Chibok in 2014.

Staff writer for the Chicago Morning Star

Related Posts
Unicef says children were used in the suicide bombing in Nigeria
UN children’s charity said that children were used, as the suicide bombers, in a triple
Kidnapping and domestic violence charges filed against Indiana man and his niece
Robert Speed and his niece, Shirley Speed, have been indicted on the charges of domestic
Chicago Police fatally shoot man after a handcuffed couple accuse they were kidnapped
Chicago police have fatally shot a man after two people had been handcuffed together on
Court sentences a man 10 years in prison for kidnapping a college student
John Kinsella, DuPage County judge, has sentenced a man 10 years in prison on Thursday.
A toddler has disappeared along with the babysitter
A toddler has disappeared from Friday morning. The Chicago Police has issued a kidnapping alert
Sweden Elects the First Female Prime Minister – for the Second Time!
Swedish lawmakers have again elected Magdalena Andersson to the role of prime minister -- days
iMessage no longer secure? New update shocks 2 billion users
Apple’s iMessage is considered to be a secured way of exchanging information, just like secret
Situation on Poland-Belarus Borden Harshens as Migrants Throw Stones and Polish Guards Respond with Water Cannon
Polish and Belarusian authorities keep on blaming each other for harshening the situation in Bruzgi-Kuźnica
Poland told to pay €1m a day in legal row with EU
The EU's top court has told Poland to pay a daily fine of €1m (£850,000)
Iran blames foreign country for cyberattack on petrol stations
Iran has said a foreign country was behind a cyberattack that paralysed its petrol distribution