Unicef says children were used in the suicide bombing in Nigeria

Unicef says children were used in the suicide bombing in Nigeria

UN children’s charity said that children were used, as the suicide bombers, in a triple attack in Konduga village. The bombing was carried out by two girls and a boy outside a video hall in northeast Borno State. Their ages are still not confirmed by the authorities.

The attack killed at least 30 people and injured 40 people. The authorities believe that the attack was carried out by a jihadist organization named as Boko Haram. No comments have been made by the organization yet. Unicef officials said, “five children have been used in the suicide attacks since the start of this year”. In the last year, 48 children were used in the suicide attacks in Nigeria including 38 girls.

Unicef said, “Those who are behind this conflict in the country must have to keep children out of it. We appeal to protect children”. Boko Haram has been involved in the brutal insurgency from the last decade in this region of the world. In the armed conflict, thousands of children have been recruited so far by these armed wings as fighters and non-fighters.

Unicef also said, “The girls are forced to marry and get raped as well. They also give birth to the babies without any medical care in this region”. Ali Hassan, a witness of the attack, said, “The owner of the video hall prevented one attacker to enter into the hall”. The bomber blasted himself outside the hall after a heated argument with the owner of the hall. Two other bombs blasted nearby.

The emergency services reached late at the bomb spot which increased the number of causalities. Usman Kachalla, head of the State Emergency Management Agency, said, “The equipment were not enough to deal with such a huge number of wounded people at a time”. Boko Haram has targeted the video halls several times as they think that video halls are un-Islamic. Konduga has been targeted before as well by the suicide bombers. In 2018, a suicide bomber blasted himself in a mosque in Konduga.

Staff writer for the Chicago Morning Star

Related Posts
Qatar: Number of patients undergoing COVID-19 treatment drops to less than 6,000
Gulf state Qatar’s COVID-19 tally cross 100,000. Within the last 24 hours, Qatar confirmed 600
What is the attitude of Ukrainian government to IMF requirements? Will the new head of the National Bank be independent?
On July 3, the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine dismissed Yakov Smoliy from the post of
Oman Reports Record 1,072 New Coronavirus Cases
Gulf State Oman is facing a surge of COVID-19 cases. In the last 24 hours,
Qatar taking the lead among Gulf States to combat COVID-19
Gulf State Qatar’s Coronavirus cases are about to reach 100,000. The state reported 894 new
UAE Permits Locals and Immigrants to Leave the Country
United Arab Emirates has announced the decision to allow locals and immigrants to leave the
Qatar Reports 750 further COVID-19 Cases
Gulf state Qatar's COVID-19 tally is about to reach 100,000. The state has reported 750
UAE defeating Coronavirus
United Arab Emirates is seeing a rapid decline in Coronavirus cases. In today's press briefing
Coronavirus patients in Saudi Arabia recovering from Blood Plasma Treatment
The treatment of Coronavirus patients in Saudi Arabia through Blood Plasma is proving to be
101-year old Saudi Women defeats Coronavirus
COVID-19 Pandemic is burying its claw all over the world. The deadly virus has taken
Qatar reports further 1,267 Coronavirus cases
Coronavirus cases couldn't be controlled in the Gulf state of Qatar. The state confirmed further