A Saudi court has sentenced five people to death on the charges of killing Jamal Khashoggi, a Saudi journalist. Khashoggi was an American-based Saudi journalist and he was killed last year in the Saudi Embassy in Istanbul, a city of Turkey. According to the video footage of that time, Khashoggi entered the Embassy and did not come back on October 2, 2018.
Khashoggi was a huge critic of the Saudi government. The Saudi government was alleged of being involved in the sudden disappearance of Khashoggi. According to the allegation, the Saudi government killed Khashoggi as he was working for an American Journal. The murder of Khashoggi damaged the reputation of the Saudi crown prince as the murder rose sorrow and anger at the international level. The crown prince did not visit America and any European country since then.
According to the AP, an American news agency, A Saudi court sentenced five people to death. The court also sentenced three other people to a collective period of 24 years in prison. The sentence was announced by a public prosecutor on Monday in Riyadh in a press conference.
Arab News shared the statement of the Saudi Public Prosecutor. The public prosecutor said that eleven people were charged in the case. Three people were set free by the court, five were sentenced to death, and three were sentenced to a collective period of 24 years in prison. According to the statement, 31 people were investigated during the investigation of the case. 21 people were arrested by the police while ten people were just questioned.
The court sentenced three people to a collective period of 24 years in prison on the charges of hiding a crime and breaching the law. The Saudi Crown Prince, Mohammed Bin Salman, admitted the responsibility of the murder after one year of the incident. He said that he admitted the responsibility of the murder of Khashoggi because the incident happened during his tenure.