US holds Iran responsible for tanker attacks without giving any evidence

US holds Iran responsible for tanker attacks without giving any evidence

United States Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has accused Iran of being the culprits behind the reported attacks that damaged two tankers in the Gulf of Oman. However, he has not given any concrete evidence to back this claim that could elevate the tensions between the two hostile countries.

The statement from the US SoS had come hours after Tehran had called the incidents as ‘suspicious’. Pompeo was speaking at a press brief on Thursday said that the attacks are part of Iran’s campaign to escalate tension and a threat to international peace and security. He said in Washington, DC that, “It is the assessment of the United States that the Islamic Republic of Iran is responsible for the attacks.”

He didn’t stop there. He said that, “This is based on intelligence, the weapons used, the level of expertise needed to execute the operation, recent similar Iranian attacks on shipping, and the fact that no proxy group operating in the area has the resources and proficiency to act with such a high degree of sophistication.”

He said that United States will do everything to defend its forces and interests. He had not given any specifics about any plan and he didn’t take any questions from the media. Iran’s foreign minister, Mohammad Javad Zarif had spoken prior to Pompeo’s statement and said that the timing of the attacks was ‘suspicious’.

The reason for the ‘suspicious’ is that the attacks have coincided with a meeting between Iran’s supreme leader and Japan’s Prime Minister Shinzo Abe. Japan’s PM is in Tehran to help defuse the US-Iran tensions. There is no clear information of what exactly happened but the locality at which the attacks have happened has sent international alarm ringing.

Managing editor of the Chicago Morning Star

Related Posts
1000 foreign prisoners temporarily released by Iran amid coronavirus pandemic
According to AFP, an international news agency, Tehran released 1000 foreign prisoner temporarily due to
US drone shot down by Iran, both countries confirmed
United States and Iran have confirmed the incident of US drone shot down by Iran.
Donald Trump welcomes Japan’s offer of mediation with Iran
Donald Trump has acknowledged Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s close ties with Iran and says
Financial Action Task Force blacklists Iran
Iran has been included in the blacklist by the Financial Action Task Force (FATF). According
Iranian satellite fails to reach its orbit
Iran sent a satellite, Victory, to space that failed to reach its orbit. Iran also
Saudi Arabia blocks Iran from attending OIC meeting
The Iranian foreign ministry said that Saudi Arabia had blocked the Iranian delegation to attend
US officials say 11 troops were injured in last week’s missile attack of Iran
Initially, the US officials said that there were no causalities caused by the Iranian missile
Only Iranian Olympics Medalist female athlete leaves her country
Kimia Alizadeh is one and only female athlete of Iran who won a medal in
Trump says ‘American Justice’ delivered by killing Iran General
President Donald Trump used the killing of Iranian General Qassem Suleimani the theme of his
Iran does not want escalation or war with US: Javad Zarif
Javad Zarif, the foreign minister of Iran, said that Iran did not seek an escalation