POTUS promotes hydroxychloroquine as coronavirus treatment once again

POTUS promotes hydroxychloroquine as coronavirus treatment once again

Joseph Sohm / Shutterstock.com

The efficacy of the hydroxychloroquine has been disputed by several trials so far. However, President Donald Trump once again promoted it as a treatment for the coronavirus infection. With this promotion, Trump went against the recommendations of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). He retweeted a video on Twitter which called hydroxychloroquine a “cure” for COVID-19.

The video has been pulled by Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube since then. Twitter also took a step against the son of Trump, Donald Trump Jr., due to this video. The account of Trump’s son has been suspended by the Twitter administration. The FDA said that the peer-reviewed trials of the drug did not produce promising results. The Administration banned the usage of this drug as a COVID-19 cure outside of the hospital.

Trump said that he had believed in hydroxychloroquine. “As you know, I took it for a 14-day period, and I’m here,” he said on Tuesday. The Henry Ford Health System conducted a study that indicated the positive results of the drug. The White House promoted started promoting that study. However, a study released by the New England Journal of Medicine revealed that the drug did not improve coronavirus outcomes.

According to the FDA, the use of hydroxychloroquine has dangerous side effects. The use of this drug is only allowed on an experimental base. The FDA said in April, “The hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine has not been shown to be safe or effective for treating or preventing COVID-19.” One of the main side effects of this drug is abnormal heart rhythms.

The patients already having health issues can suffer from further complexities due to the use of this drug, according to the FDA. The hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine is used for the treatment of malaria and lupus. However, Trump has promoted this drug as a cure for COVID-19 several times in the past as well. He said, “I happen to believe in it. I would take it.”

Senior writer at the Chicago Morning Star

Related Posts
Operation Legend Expanded to Chicago
United States Attorney for the Northern District of Illinois John R. Lausch Jr, today joined
Violence Continues in Chicago
On Tuesday, 15 people were sent to the hospital as a mass shooting occurred in
Biden says Trump is first racist president of America
Joe Biden, the former vice-president of the US, said on Wednesday, “Trump is the country’s
Chuck Woolery says his son infected by coronavirus
Chuck Woolery, a former Love Connection host, said that his son contracted the coronavirus. A
Joe Biden Vows to Reverse President’s WHO Decision
US Democratic challenger Joe Biden has said if he wins November’s election, he will reverse
Trump pulling US out of World Health Organization
President Donald Trump had previously announced that US will be withdrawing from the World Health
Vandals burn statue of Melania Trump in Slovenia on July 4
The statue of Melania Trump, the First Lady of the United States of America, has
Seattle’s Protest “Autonomous Zone” Cleared
For weeks, Seattle officials have been scratching their heads of what to do about a
Trump’s Approval Lowers as U.S. Sees Record New Coronavirus cases
United States sees the highest number of new Coronavirus since the height of the pandemic
Pursuing a trade deal; Trump held off Chinese sanctions
United States President Donald Trump says he didn’t impose sanctions on Chinese officials further over