Chicago Police are looking into the unsolved deaths of 55 women that may lead to a serial killer.
They have confirmed this announcement on Tuesday.
Chicago Tribune had reported it first that six detectives are against re-examining forensic evidence in each of the 55 cases.
There had been no connection to a serial killer with any of the 55 deaths but they are looking at the evidence again to review the cases.
In January 2018, Chicago Tribune had reported that at least 75 women had been strangled or smothered since 2001.
In these cases, only a third of arrests had been made.
The newspaper reported that the women’s bodies were found in vacant buildings, alleys, garbage cans and snow banks.
Many of the women had history of drugs and prostitution but some had no arrest records.
They said that they didn’t found no connection with a serial killer.
The analysis of Chicago Tribune had revealed that the women killed were between the age of 18 to 58 and majority of them were African-American.
The autopsies had revealed that the women killed were tortured, raped and between. There were many bruises on the body around heads especially.
Four victims had been discovered between May and September in 2018.
The bodies found were miles apart from each other.
In the 1990s and early 2000s, where there was appearance of women bodies, the police department had formed a task force to find the killers.
The task force had solved the killings of 40 women but the task force was disbanded after the solving.
Kaethe Morris Hoffer, executive director of the Chicago Alliance Against Sexual Exploitation is staggered by the amount of the cases.
She says that we have steeped so low that our sense of comfort is disturbed when so many people are killed at once.